Masala chai! The name itself is enough to make a chai lover's morning better. Whatever the season may be, masala chai is a habit for most people in India. The most common beverage is made by adding black tea, milk, sugar, masala, and spices. The combination of spices depends upon the number of spices we take.
It is one of the most highly used drinks for ages. In ancient India, chai was not considered tea. Still, it was considered a healing drink, and chai masala powder was counted as a healing powder because of its antioxidant value, and it was also considered an ayurvedic medicine. Auric has come up with Kadak Masala Chai with Moringa which has been developed keeping ayurveda in mind.
The spices include cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, anise, and sometimes fennel. Sometimes masala chai includes herbs like holy basil (tulsi) and mint(pudina).
We must toast all the ingredients except ginger powder. Heat them all until they start releasing an aroma. Grind them in a mixer jar, and after it is cool, transfer them to a jar. We need to add powder, tea, sugar, and ginger whenever we make masala tea.
There are several benefits of masala chai: It improves immunity, boosts energy, improves digestion, prevents cancer, etc.
Key Ingredients of Masala Chai
- Tulsi( holy basil) is made of Vitamin A, K, and C. It is made up of minerals like phosphorus, magnesium, iron, protein, and potassium. It is included in kadak chai recipe as it acts as an antiseptic to treat colds, coughs, asthma problems, sore throat, and gastrointestinal disorders. It helps to control blood sugar and should be included in chai masala powder.
- Cinnamon is rich in vitamins A and K, minerals like magnesium, phosphorous, proteins, carbohydrates, and fiber. It has antioxidant properties, burns calories, maintains sugar levels, and is helpful in neurodegenerative diseases. It has the properties to attack harmful fungal and bacterial infections, making it a necessity in chai masala powder. It acts as an antiviral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial agent too.
- Cardamom has been known for its culinary and medicinal value for a long time. It is rich in vitamins, electrolytes, carbohydrates, energy, and minerals like copper, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium. It is included in a kadak chai recipe.
- Fennel has a high nutritional value containing fiber, vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and manganese. Therefore, don’t forget to add this in your chai masala powder.
- Cloves are essential ingredients in kadak chai recipe. It helps improve the liver's condition as it contains a high amount of antioxidant properties and gives strength to the bones of elders.
Masala tea is made with loose tea leaves, but now most people use processed black tea, which is crushed – CTC and tea dust.
There are two basic ways to go about the kadak chai recipe. The first method is to make it instantly: Add the 3-4 spices to the cup of water and then add milk to it. The second method is better if you are a masala chai lover. It would help if you kept a container of grounded spices stored.
Add these spices to your cup of milk and let it be with the milk well for some time so that the spices are well mixed in it.
Benefits of Masala Chai
1. Acts as an antioxidant
It is preferred that kadak chai should be given to our elders. It is so because a cup of masala is used that boosts energy and increases immunity power. Since we cannot protect our elders from all types of diseases, we provide them with a cup of masala chai as it acts as an antioxidant and its medicinal properties.
2. Stress reliever
It acts as a stress reliever. Anxiety and stress are most common in elders -nowadays. Regular consumption of chai masala powder can make them happy and calm.
3. For high bone density
As milk is rich in protein, you can increase the number of spices in milk and tea. Milk will provide the protein, and hence masala tea proves to be advantageous to elders.
4. Maintaining weight
Maintaining body weight is still an excellent issue for most aged people. If any person is underweight, they can drink masala tea. Whereas if a person is overweight, they should have green tea to increase their metabolism.
5. Immunity Booster
As chai masala powder contains all the natural spices, especially basil leaves, it acts as a natural energy booster, preventing certain diseases and providing many medical advantages.
6. Improves Digestion
Indigestion is a widespread problem for elders. Having masala tea solves many chronic diseases like cancer kidney related issues. It helps to improve digestion in elders as elders do not exercise or walk much. To digest the food, we can use more cinnamon and prepare a kadak chai to solve the digestive issues. You can also use Auric’s chai masala powder.
7. Heals Cancer
Since masala tea contains various antioxidants, it helps prevent cancer up to a specific limit. As it includes holy basil, cloves, and cinnamon, it gives the body
energy to attack the cancer cells.
8. Keeps the Heart Healthy
Masala tea is considered the best for heart patients. Cinnamon is regarded as one of the essential ingredients because of its medicinal value. It controls blood pressure and removes unwanted cholesterol from the body. Overall it takes care of the entire heart.
Joint pain is one of the most common complaints of the elders. It is so because older adults lose their bone density as they grow older. Two ingredients, mainly clove and ginger, will surely cure or lessen the pain. It helps in blood circulation and lowers the stress level.
10. Sleeping Disorders
Sleeping disorders are another familiar problem people face growing old. It is made up of blooming flowers. Having a cup of masala chai made using chai masala powder before bedtime can be very efficient. Not only sleeping disorders, but it is also helpful in digestion.
11. Prevents Diabetes
Diabetes is primarily diagnosed in elders. It is a hazardous disease, which can sometimes harm your life if not controlled at the proper time. It may lead to several other health issues, like kidney, brain, blood pressure, and many other diseases.
12. Cure Alzheimer & Dementia
In diseases like Alzheimer's, masala tea can be beneficial. It contains an antioxidant known as carbonic acid. This acid prevents the brain from damaging toxins. It is also preferable for elders suffering from a disease called Dementia. The tea, which is made from evergreen leaves, is helpful for such conditions.
13. Controls Respiratory issues
Seniors with asthma need to have a eucalyptus drink to prevent cold, cough, and fever. Seniors who have eucalyptus tea as their daily routine have their diabetes in control. Add a little chai masala powder to this and you’re good to go!
14. Improves teeth
Chai masala powder contains cloves. Drinking masala chai is very helpful while having a toothache. The cloves in it turn into a gel when added to making tea. It takes away all the pain from the aching tooth by killing the fungus or bacteria, proving itself an antioxidant.
Types of Masala Chai
- Tulsi masala chai - In India, mostly this chai is used. It is further known as the "Queen Of the herbs." It is holy basil and known for its antioxidant properties. It is used to treat cough and cold, improve the digestive system, and improve respiratory problems. It is highly rich in calcium and iron, is free of caffeine, and contains no saturated fats.
- Ginger tea -It is one of the oldest forms of kadak chai recipe. It is used for motion sickness, nausea, cold, mild fever, lower blood pressure, cholesterol, blood clots, and pain reliever cancer prevention. It acts as an antioxidant in an older adult's body.
- Kashmiri Kahwa - Kashmir is famous for its kahwa. It is made up of almonds, cardamom, cinnamon, and clove. It helps build immunity power, calorie burner, and energy booster. It has properties for the skin and acts as a stress reliever, making it a great kadak chai recipe.
- Sulaimani Tea - It is prepared with mixed spices. This tea is made without milk. Drinking this tea is far more healthy than drinking any other drink. It is highly rich in antioxidants; it removes various toxic substances and improves digestion too.
Certain herbal teas contain flavonoids, which are phytonutrients, a type of plant chemical, also known to consume before bedtime as it aids sleeping in those who have sleeping disorders. Chamomile is a popular tea to drink at night, but peppermint and ginger contain flavonoids.
There are mostly more advantages to having masala tea. Just as a coin has two sides, there are certain disadvantages to having masala chai. It is free of caffeine and acts as an antioxidant by preventing diseases from entering an elder's body.
If drunk in excessive amounts, it may cause a gastric problem. It may cause restlessness and nausea if we have spices in excess amounts. Sometimes tea without milk and only lemon and tea is helpful for an elderly body. So it is mainly advised to consult a doctor or a nutritionist before trying different types of tea and feeling unhealthy.
When drinking kadak chai, it should be with little spices. Excess amounts of condiments may be harmful to young ones too. It can create health issues such as abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, and flatulence.
It is not at all suitable for people with stress and anxiety. At times there can be an allergy to masala chai.
As discussed earlier, masala tea is of various types, but one thing common in all kinds of tea is it acts as an antioxidant agent. It cures cough and cold, acts as an immunity booster, and prevents certain diseases from entering the body. It prevents heart problems by controlling blood pressure and kidney diseases
It should be consumed in proper quantity, not too much or too little spices else it may cause gastric problems and may prove to be unhealthy for the body. The trend of different types of masala chai is available in India also.
It is available on different continents, cultures, and countries. It is served in houses and different kinds of tea stalls, restaurants, and coffee shops. It is also available in various types of well-established hotels. Hence, it has proved to be one of India's favorite, popular, and readily available drinks.
Auric has come up with its carefully curated kadak chai recipe—Kadak Masala Chai, which comes with the goodness of Moringa and many other natural ingredients, including ginger, tulsi, black pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom, making tea a soulful experience for you!
It is 100% natural and organic, which makes it deserving of becoming your go-to option for masala chai. It boosts immunity, improves metabolic rate, relieves stress, and calms the mind. So, what are you waiting for? Get your pack home delivered now! Also read Masala Chai Tea : A Complete Guide Masala Tea Recipe
Authored By : Poorvi Chhajer
About Author : Poorvi is a psychology graduate with a knack for writing and belief in ayurveda.