Bhramari is an effective breathing exercise for meditation. Bhramari Pranayama is derived from the Hindi word Bhramari, which means bumblebee, and Pranayama means breathing technique. It can also be called bee breathing. Bhramari Pranayama helps in reducing fatigue and mental stress. The exhalation sound in this technique is identical to the hum of a bee; hence it is called Bhramari Pranayama. The practice of Bhramari Pranayama is beneficial to calm the mind. You can quickly feel the sound vibrations in your jaw, throat, and face. Doesn't that sound amazing to you? Yes? If you want to explore the steps and benefits of Bhramari Pranayama, this blog is the right place to know everything.
Steps and techniques to do Bhramari Pranayama
- Firstly, find a clean and flat place and, laying a mat there, sit on it in the position of Padmasana or Sukhasana.
- After that, lift your hands up and take them parallel to your shoulders.
- Now bend your hands at the elbows and bring them to close your ears.
- After that, close both your ears with the thumbs of both your hands.
- Place the index finger of both the hands on the forehead and the middle, ring finger, and Kanishka finger above the eyes.
- Keep your mouth wholly closed and breathe in through your nose at a normal pace.
- Then exhale via the nose, making a honey-bee-like sound. Keep in mind that while exhaling, pronounce "Om."
- Now repeat this technique 5-7 times.
Benefits of Bhramari Pranayama
Bhramari Pranayama has numerous benefits. Let's have a look.
Calms the brain: There is a science behind Bhramari Pranayama. It relaxes the nerves and soothes them, particularly around the brain and forehead. Do you know that the humming sound vibrations have a natural calming effect?
Stress: Bhramari Pranayama is bliss to mind. It is one of the best techniques to cure anxiety. It reduces stress and provides relief to the mind.
Eliminate throat ailments: Bhramari Pranayama is good for throat health. It bolsters and improves the voice and eliminates throat infections.
Reducing outrage: Some people get angry so quickly. Bhramari Pranayama is a good technique for keeping control of their anger. It plays a vital role in relaxing the mind. Regular practice will help in reducing outrage.
Bhramari Pranayama can cure depression
Pranayama effectively relieves stress by letting our bodies breathe in more oxygen. There are multiple variations of Bhramari Pranayama, and each one helps calm the mind and alleviate stress. Both anxiety and depression can be cured by doing Pranayama regularly.
If you are suffering from depression, you must try it. It works as a panacea in reducing depression.
Improving concentration and memory
If you feel scatterbrained most of the time, you are not alone. With increasing age, brains become more boisterous and not good at remembering everything. But Bhramari Pranayama helps to achieve a concentration of mind. It unfurls the blockage and gives a sense of delight to the brain. The humming sound and vibrations during the techniques help calm and soothe your mind and kick out fatigue, stress, and negative emotions. It is suitable for Alzheimer's disease.
Meditation: It takes the consciousness deep inside and gives the method of meditation.
Calming effect on the body:
Since this Pranayama provides coolness to your body, due to which it plays an essential role in calming you down.
Cure various diseases:
It is incredibly beneficial for health. With regular practice, you can avoid many diseases.
Reducing blood pressure
As per studies, Bhramari pranayama has an immediate positive effect on reducing blood pressure. It will be good if you make a daily routine for Bhramari Pranayama; it will reduce the stress originated cardiovascular risk in the future.
Helps mitigate migraines
The powerful breathing techniques can relieve headaches by relaxing the brain.
With the regular practice of Bhramari Pranayama, we can awaken our Kundalini Shakti.
By practising Bhramari Pranayama for a long time, the person's voice becomes melodious.
Inducing deep sleep
Regular practice of Bhramari Pranayama helps relax your mind and enter a calm state before settling on your bed. It allows you to get sound sleep.
Times of Bhramari Pranayama
When you start doing this Pranayama, you should practise it only for 10-12 minutes because the time duration of this Pranayama should not be increased simultaneously. Practising this Pranayama on an empty stomach in the morning and evening is more fruitful.
Do Bhramari Pranayama only after you have finished your asana practice. A normal person should do Bhramari Pranayama ten to fifteen times initially. It should be increased after continuous training for some time.
When can you do Bee breathing?
- Morning time is perfect for Bhramari Pranayama
- Before sunrise, if you can, wake up early.
- It is better to practise on an empty stomach, to get full Bhramari Pranayama benefits.
- If you have already had your meal, only practice the Bhramari asana 4-5 hours later.
- If you have ear pain, it is better to avoid this Pranayama.
- Slowly increase the time and cycle of doing Pranayama.
- In case of dizziness, nervousness, cough, headache, or any other issue while doing Bhramari Pranayama, stop Pranayama and confer with your doctor or yoga specialist.
- If you are doing Bhramari Pranayama in the evening, keep a gap of at least two to three hours between doing Pranayama and taking the evening meal.
- While doing Bhramari Pranayama, cover your ear with the help of ear leaves, do not put your fingers inside the ear.
Who should not do Bhramari Pranayama?
The following people should avoid practising Bhramari Yoga:
- Pregnant or menstruating women should avoid this Pranayama.
- People with ear infections or ear-irritations
- People who are experiencing recurring chest-pains
- People who have high blood pressure must avoid this.
- People who are prone to get epilepsy.
The yogis recommend practising Bhramari Pranayama 2-5 times a day. So whenever you feel uneasy, or your mind is constantly running, and you cannot sleep, try this age-old asana. It benefits people who have problems with their sleep patterns. Not just sleep apnea, but this asana is like a miracle for a person's overall health. Include Bhramari Pranayama in your routine, and be a witness to magical health transformation. Also read Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Breathing Technique ) Benefits, Steps
Authored by: Vijeta Rana
About the Author: Vijeta Rana is a Wellness and Fitness Blogger from Punjab, India.