Bhramari Pranayama Bee Breathing Technique.It's already 2 am, and are you still staring at your room wall? Do you know why it is happening? It is because your mind doesn't want to shut down. It is crucial to calm your mind before you go to bed. Otherwise, you end up staring at the walls only. Don't worry if you fall under this category. We have a fantastic technique for you that will help relax your mind and let you enter a calm state. It's Brahmari pranayama . Have you ever heard about Brahmari pranayama? If not, then this blog has a lot to offer you. Continue reading to get a sweet and balmy sleep at night.
What is Brahmari pranayama?
Brahmari pranayama is an effective breathing exercise to soothe your mind instantly. It releases the mind's rage, frustration, anger, and anxiety. Brahmari pranayama is one of the best breathing exercises to de-stress your mind and body.
Brahmari pranayama is not challenging to do. You can practice it anywhere, at work or home. It is an instant formula to kick out the stress and be happy again.
Did you know that Brahmari pranayama is also known as the Humming bee breathing technique? Because during asana, when you exhale, the sound very much matches the humming sound of a bee.
If you cannot concentrate on any work, this Pranayama increases your concentration. While doing this Pranayama, you will feel many positive vibrations in the body. So let’s dive deeper to know the steps of doing it and then its benefits-
How to do Bhramari Pranayama?
A person can do this asana both at sunrise and sunset. But before you start, find a calm environment and sit in Sukhasana.
1) Straighten your back and close your eyes.
2) Place the palms on your knees (in Pratana Mudra) and your thumbs on the tragus.
3) Place your index finger on your forehead.
4) The middle finger should be on the medial canthus, and the ring finger should be at the corner of your nostril.
5) Inhale and load your lungs with air.
6) As you exhale, slowly make a bee-like buzzing sound, i.e., "Mmmmmmm."
7) Keep your mouth sealed the entire time and feel the vibration of the sound circulating in your body.
Bhramari Pranayama Steps: How to perform the Bee Breath Asana
1) Sit in any relaxed position like Sukhasana, Ardha Padmasana, or Padmasana. After that, straighten your back and close your eyes slowly.
2) Balance the body and experience this silence.
3) Place your fingers on all the mentioned points.
4) Start with your little finger.
5) Observe the points on your nostrils, on the right and left sides.These are known as ida and pingala or ida nadi and pingala nadi- ida nadi runs to the left and pingala nadi moves to the right.
6) When you press these points, you are putting pressure on these nadis and not straining any muscles.
7) In Bhramari Pranayama, all these points on the tips of our fingers are actually activating and channelizing these nadis. It plays a decisive role in the practice of Bhramari Pranayama.
8) Now breathe in rhythmically and exhale as you exhale in a humming bee.
8) Always be aware of your pressure points. Do not apply excessive pressure; make sure it is gentle.
9) Go slow, medium, or fast as per your convenience.
10)The nadis run from your nostrils, go to the eyes, forehead, head, back of your neck, and reach your lower back.
11) With your ears closed, you can experience and observe the vibrations deeply and help bring the benefits of Bhramari Pranayama into your body.
Benefits of Bhramari Pranayama
- Bhramari Pranayama can solve sinus issues. The mind becomes calm by the practice of this Pranayama, and the mental stress doesn't come close.
- Bhramari Pranayama benefits the person suffering from high blood pressure. It helps to stabilise the blood pressure.
- Bhramari Pranayama helps revive Kundalini power and also benefits the patient of migraine.
- Bhramari Pranayama helps pregnant women in easy baby birth. Also, this asana helps the endocrine system of pregnant women to work well. But it is better to start Bhramari Pranayama only after consulting a doctor.
- The regular practice of Bhramari Pranayama boosts the person's memory power, and thoughts become more positive. This Pranayama also develops the intellect.
- Bhramari Pranayama is beneficial to release stress, anxiety, anger, fear, sleeplessness, and other types of mental disorders.
- Bhramari Pranayama relaxes the brain's nerves, and all kinds of blood defects get erased.
The thyroid is a gland located in our neck which starts working abnormally due to a lack of iodine. This Pranayama is considered very beneficial for people with hypothyroidism. It keeps the thyroid under control, and your weight does not increase abnormally. You can get quick relief if you practise Bhramari Pranayama by putting your chin close to the neck (Jalandhar Bandh).
Bhramari Pranayama Precautions
- Always practice Bhramari Pranayama after doing Anulom - Vilom Pranayama.
- While doing Bhramari Pranayama, avoid pressing your ears, eyes, or nose too hard.
- The best time to do Bhramari Pranayama is in the morning and on an empty stomach. You can also practise it in the evening, but doing Bhramari Pranayama in the morning gives instantaneous results.
- While doing Bhramari Pranayama, both the ears should be covered with the help of ear leaves, do not put your fingers in the ears.
- It will be best to do all types of Pranayama related to breathing under the supervision of a yoga expert or do it only after learning from them properly.
- If you are doing Bhramari Pranayama in the evening, keep a gap of at least two to three hours between doing Pranayama and dinner.
- A person complaining of ear pain or any infection should avoid Bhramari Pranayama.
- Don't exceed the repetition more than 3 or 4 times.
- Bhramari Pranayama should not be started for a long time initially. As you increase the practice, the time cycle should be increased.
- After doing Bhramari Pranayama, if headache, dizziness, or any other type of problem starts, Bhramari Pranayama should be done only with the guidance of a doctor.
Daily yoga practice is beneficial for getting rid of many physical problems and diseases. There are different yoga asanas for different diseases and physical problems. Yoga asana's regular practice gives immense benefits. According to yoga experts, to get a healthy body and mind, the daily practice of Bhramari Pranayama is beneficial. When you play the flute, you've probably noticed that you press on the flute holes to get the music out. Similarly, in Bhramari Pranayama, if you know how to apply the correct pressure on the nadis, then the sound of a bee coming from your nose will be perfect. It ensures that you will experience the benefits of Bhramari Pranayama.
Authored by: Vijeta Rana
About the Author: Vijeta Rana is a Wellness and Fitness Blogger from Punjab, India.