Coffee is one of the most consumed beverages worldwide. For many coffee drinkers, the morning cuppa is a must-have without which they cannot proceed to work. For most South Indians, filter coffee is their morning fix; the Millennials opt for trendy alternatives. However, for everyone, there is one trend to keep a watch, and that is coffee with turmeric. This drink has the goodness of turmeric and the energy of coffee in one cup. Turmeric Coffee Health Benefits greatly outweigh all the other trends. Interested? Read below to know What Is Turmeric Coffee, its benefits, and the turmeric coffee recipe.
Know More About Turmeric - The Golden Spice
Turmeric is not new to India; it is a staple in all Indian households and has been an Ayurvedic remedy for more than 4,000 years. It contains many antioxidants, the most important being curcumin, and offers many benefits. It is a powder with many medicinal properties that are scientifically proven.
Ayurveda practitioners use it in small quantities to balance the Tri Doshas; Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. It is known to rekindle the digestive power and thus reduce the toxins in the body. It has many beneficial effects on the circulatory system and the blood.
It is a powder that is yellow in color and has a bitter taste. It is often used as a color and flavoring agent to cheese, butter, mustards, and curry powders. It is called the Golden spice for a reason. It boasts a long list of healing properties which includes anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral. So no wonder its usage is considered important in cooking. Though not your regular spice, it offers so many health benefits that its use daily should be increased wherever possible.
Though there are countless health benefits of turmeric, with thousands of studies to confirm their effectiveness, it should be consumed in the right way to get all the advantages.
What is Turmeric Coffee?
Turmeric coffee is simply coffee with turmeric powder. Turmeric is added to the normal coffee that you drink to make it a healthier beverage. Turmeric has curcumin which is an antioxidant that makes the spice yellow in color. It contains many other properties that boost the health profile. Since the spice is mildly spiced and only a pinch of powder is needed to get the benefits, there is no strong flavor or aroma that comes out of it. Hence it combines well with coffee which has a strong taste and flavor. Continue reading to learn about the Turmeric Coffee Recipe. You can add more additions like black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves to coffee with turmeric powder.
Coffee with Turmeric Powder
After knowing what is turmeric coffee, know that it blends well. coffee and turmeric are versatile in nature. Both these ingredients combine well with others and yet retain their benefits. Coffee with turmeric powder helps in better absorption of curcumin. As per studies, the absorption of curcumin improves when it is mixed with a liquid of a pH level of 6 or higher. So a cup of coffee with turmeric powder and milk has a pH level of around 5, thereby increasing the chances of better absorption of curcumin. Additionally, drinking coffee has its perks which contain 1,000 bioactive compounds along with antioxidants which have many health benefits.
So by having coffee with turmeric not only makes for a tasty start to the day but brings numerous benefits to the individual.
Turmeric Coffee Health Benefits
The idea of having coffee with turmeric is a new trend, but more than it being trendy, there are many turmeric coffee health benefits that make this concoction a super hit. Some of them are:
- Reduce inflammation: Numerous research has been conducted which show that turmeric usage can reduce inflammation in the body. Inflammation is the major culprit for many health conditions. The combination of coffee with turmeric soothes the pain and reduces the redness in joint inflammation.
- Boosts the mood: How often have you felt your mood uplift after a cup of coffee? If you are a regular drinker of coffee, you already know that it can uplift the mood. Add curcumin as the anti-depression properties of caffeine boost your mood.
- Controls blood sugar: As per studies conducted by Nutrition and Intermediary Metabolism, curcumin helps to maintain blood sugar levels. Controlling the blood sugar levels prevents diabetes, nerve damage, kidney and heart diseases. But to get the Turmeric Coffee Health Benefits do not add too much sugar as that makes the drink heavy on carbs and raises the blood sugar levels.
- Helps in digestion: Coffee has long been known to improve digestive health because of the numerous helpful compounds present in them. Turmeric, too, is known to bring relief to all types of stomach discomfort like cramps, bloating, diarrhea, and even Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Reduce the risk of heart diseases: Inflammation is the main reason for heart diseases. So by using the Turmeric Coffee Recipe, which has anti-inflammation properties, reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases like cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Reduces the harmful free radicals: The free radicals in the body damage the cells and cause various health problems. Curcumin, an antioxidant, neutralizes the free radicals and prevents cellular damage.
- Boosts immunity: The Turmeric Coffee Recipe that you add to your diet increases antioxidant activity and reduces inflammation in the body. Moreover, the turmeric addition to the recipe contains antipathogenic properties which ward off pathogens. All this boosts your immunity.
How to Add Turmeric to Coffee?
Now that you know what is turmeric coffee and the turmeric coffee health benefits, it is time now to know how to add this golden spice to the coffee. There are a few ways in which you can add it to your coffee.
- During grinding of the coffee beans: Coffee beans are ground to a powder before it is packed and sealed. During this grinding process, add turmeric powder. Take a small quantity of turmeric and mix it with coffee beans during grinding. This will give a nice flavor to the coffee powder.
- After the grinding process: Mix the turmeric powder to the ground coffee beans. This gives a synergic effect to the coffee powder.
- While making the coffee: This is another way to add turmeric. In this way, a pinch of turmeric is added to hot coffee.
Some Exciting Recipes With Turmeric Coffee
Turmeric Coffee Recipe - Hot
Now that you know what is turmeric coffee, making it is also easy. You can either buy turmeric coffee blends and use them as per directions or make homemade coffee and add turmeric to it. Here is one such homemade turmeric coffee recipe.
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- A pinch of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
Take a saucepan, add milk, turmeric, and the other spices and stir over medium heat. Add brewed coffee to it. Use a whisk or a blender to mix all the ingredients. If you want to add a sweetener, add honey at this stage. Pour coffee into the mug and enjoy it hot.
Homemade Golden Latte Recipe
Latte is one of the most popular drinks when it comes to coffee and is found in fancy coffee shops. But it can also be made at home with a dash of health added to it in the form of turmeric.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp sugar or any other sweetener
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup coffee decoction
- Cocoa powder (optional)
To make the latte coffee, take a leak-proof microwavable jar with a lid. Add milk and turmeric powder and shake it for 1 or 2 minutes. Now microwave the jar by opening the lid so that the milk forms a foam. In a coffee mug, add the coffee decoction and hold it in a tilted position. Add the frothed milk from the edge of the mug until it is full. Sprinkle cocoa powder on top and serve hot.
Turmeric Milk Cold Coffee Recipe
Are you someone who wants to enjoy the benefits of coffee but doesn’t like it hot? Then here is the perfect recipe for you. You can enjoy cafe-style cold coffee at your home by following this easy and quick recipe.
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tsp coffee
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp vanilla ice cream
- Ice cubes
In a blender, add milk, turmeric, honey, ice cream, and cream. Add some ice cubes to this to make it colder. If you don’t have a blender, you can use a shaker. Add fresh cream and shake well if you like to make it creamy. Pour on tall glasses and add some more ice cream on top, some nuts, and choco syrup. Relish this drink on a hot summer day.
How much Turmeric to Add?
The exact amount of turmeric that should be added to the coffee varies depending on the individual. So it is best to experiment and figure out the quantity. However, typically, ¼ teaspoon or a pinch of turmeric powder is recommended. Also, note that adding more than the required quantity does not make it more beneficial. Add as much coffee you can take so that it does not tamper with the taste, and you will never try this again!
With numerous coffee trends doing the rounds, it is natural to be skeptical about coffee with turmeric. But the fact remains that turmeric is a superfood, and it brings countless benefits to your coffee. This, coupled with the health benefits of coffee, makes it a remarkable beverage to have throughout the day. Also read How is gourmet coffee different from regular coffee?
Authored By: Divya Shankar
About Author: Divya Shankar is a multifaceted content writer with 7+ years of experience. She has exclusive writing expertise in ayurveda.