Have you gained weight and wondered how to lose weight fast using the best weight loss diet? There are so many fad diets trending that it becomes difficult to choose the best one that helps to reduce weight. To find the solution, you don’t have to look around too much, especially in India, as Ayurveda has all the answers to your worries. Ayurveda is a wellness practice that has been around for more than 5000 years and has many secrets that are slowly being discovered. The diet the ancestors prescribed is still relevant and can be used for weight loss at home or even resolve many medical issues. Read on to understand all about it.
What is an Ayurvedic Diet?
Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word where Ayur means life and Veda means science. So the translation of the word Ayurveda is - The Science of Life. Ayurvedic diet, unlike other diets, is based on the Ayurvedic medicine principles and emphasises balancing various types of energy present in the body and improving health.
It is an eating pattern that has been followed for thousands of years by ancient Indians. So it is not a fad diet and following this has absolutely no side effects. The recommended weight loss foods are highly personalised and are based on the individual’s body type. It is a beneficial diet as it not only addresses how to lose weight fast but also because you can achieve weight loss at home. The weight loss diet chart is created based on your dominant dosha, and the foods prescribed will promote balance between the Tridoshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha).
Determining your Dosha
As per Ayurveda, every individual has a different proportion of the three doshas, one or two being more dominant. The dominant dosha you are born with shows who or how you are in a balanced and healthy state. Knowing your dosha is a complex process, but in basic terms, it can be defined as below:
People with Vata as the dominant dosha are bright, active, and creative. They are fast thinkers and walk and talk fast. But, on the other hand, they are usually lightweight and thin and suffer from constipation and other gastrointestinal problems.
Individuals with this dosha type are short-tempered, medium-built, and intelligent. They have a good appetite and digestion with a strong metabolism.
These people are muscular, large-framed, and slow metabolism. They have great strength and stamina and are intelligent but grounded.
By looking at the above, you may feel that one of the above fits your right; for many, they find that they can qualify for two strong doshas. Before you begin on the journey of how to lose weight fast using the Ayurvedic diet, it is essential to know about which is the dominant dosha. An ayurvedic doctor can help you make the assessment based on the information you provide. You can also use the online questionnaire to find your dosha, which may or may not be accurate.
Ayurvedic Diet as per your Dosha
When looking for weight loss at home, you should choose foods that balance the doshas. When they are in balance, they help maintain health and achieve weight loss. Of course, the best weight loss diet for your body type is highly personalised, but in general, given below is a list of weight loss foods that can help.
Food for Vata Dosha
People with a dominant Vata dosha should opt for foods and drinks that are warm. They should avoid crunchy and dry food and consume cooked grains and cereals instead. Avoid eating anything cold, raw, or frozen, and have three or four meals a day. Include healthy snacks and hot drinks like Ayurvedic Thandai.
- To Eat Cooked rice, oats, soups, casseroles, butter, baked bread, and fruits like melon, berries, and bananas. Seeds like pecans, peanuts, flax seeds along with fish, eggs, and beef should be part of your weight loss diet chart. Healthy fat like ghee, butter, and sesame oil should be used as your best weight loss diet plan.
- Avoid Eggplant, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, fruits like raw apples, cranberries. Cheese and other fermented heavy foods should be avoided. Also, stay away from carbonated beverages as well as caffeine.
Foods for Pitta Dosha
Those with Pitta Dosha have body heat which means they should eat foods that pacify that state of the body. They should include drinks that are cool and consume food warm instead of hot. The best weight loss diet should not have spicy or salty food.
- To Eat: Vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, and peas. Grains like barley and quinoa. Dairy products like yoghurt, cheese, and milk.
- To avoid Chillies, onions, garlic, and black pepper. Acidic foods like radishes, grapefruit, and tomatoes. Salad dressings, meat, seeds, and nuts should be avoided as much as possible.
Foods for Kapha Dosha
This dosha is closely linked to water, and to balance it, bitter, astringent and pungent food should be consumed in good quantities. Individuals with this dosha should avoid greasy, fatty, and oily food. Stick to broiled, baked, or roasted food, and avoid sweets except for honey. Consume lots of spice.
- To Eat: Veggies grown on the ground like eggplant, asparagus, corn, and green leafy vegetables. Include lean proteins foods like fish and chicken. Include garlic and ginger in your foods. Consume pears, peaches, apples, and mangoes.
- To Avoid: Oily and fatty foods, frozen foods, and gravies rich in nuts and root vegetables.
Sample Ayurvedic Diet Meal Plan
Once you have determined your dosha and the foods to avoid and eat, you can then create a weight loss diet chart around it. These weight loss foods are nutritious; they can also balance energy. Note that the list of the best weight loss food to have and avoid does not mean you are entirely prohibited from eating. It only means that adding or avoiding it will give you more benefits. The following meal plans suggest an Ayurvedic diet for each dosha. You can follow your dinner with a glass of warm Ayurvedic Thandai.
- Breakfast choices: 1 cup puffed rice or Poha with a glass of almond milk or 1 cup tea. A large bowl of mixed fruits like strawberries, bananas, and oranges followed by lemon tea. Another breakfast option is a piece of toast made from whole-wheat, 2 scrambled eggs with 1 cup tea.
- Lunch choices: Dal with spices like cumin, ginger, turmeric, coriander, with rice or whole-grain Rotis with ghee. A vegetable stew made with quinoa. Whole grain pasta or rice with spinach, olives, and pesto. Beets, squash, or sweet potatoes roasted with olive oil and lightly spiced.
- Dinner: It should be the lightest meal and still be nourishing and sustaining. One can opt for the same menu as lunch but have a smaller quantity. You can also choose to have a soup with bread and butter, sauteed vegetables, or Khichdi.
- Breakfast choices: Whole grain toast with sauteed vegetables. Slow-cooked oatmeal with milk and garnished with dates and almonds. Smoothie with milk, dates, and almonds. A large bowl of fruit salad with raisins. Muesli with yoghurt, rice porridge, and Chamomile tea are also the best weight loss foods.
- Lunch choices: Vegetable soup or stew with beans and grains. This can be had with flatbread or wholewheat bread. Brown or whole-grain pasta with pesto and sauteed vegetables. Baked rice with cumin, lemons, and olives, along with a salad. Hummus with Lentil and brussels sprouts salad.
- Dinner choices: Mung beans and dill and basmati rice and roasted asparagus. A burger with lettuce, avocado, goat cheese, and mushrooms. Spiced rice with sunflower or pumpkin seeds consumed with flatbread. Palak chicken, steamed broccoli, lentil and potato stew can also be had in your weight loss diet chart.
- Breakfast choices: Start with ginger tea to stimulate the digestive juices. Consume fresh fruits or muesli or cereal with honey. One can also opt for a glass of apple lassi or a cup of cooked apples.
- Lunch choices: Hearty vegetable soup served with whole grain bread toast. Dal with spinach and fresh lime. Sauteed vegetables and greens with Kitchari. Corn soup with roasted broccoli served with baked tofu.
- Dinner choices: Kitchari with mung dal and brown rice, Quinoa with yellow dal, kale, and red curry lentil soup. Sweet potato and ginger soup can also be a good choice for dinner.
Basic Ayurvedic Eating Principles
Irrespective of the body type, the doshas the best weight loss diet following the basic eating principles is necessary. Some of them are as below:
- Every meal in your weight loss diet includes all the six Rasas or tastes. Sour, bitter, sweet, salt, astringent, and pungent.
- Begin your meal with a fruit or any other food that tastes sweet.
- Proceed with salty foods like seafood and sour ones like citrus fruits.
- Finish the meal with pungent foods like peppers or astringent foods like green apple or tea.
- Along with consuming foods as per the weight loss diet chart, ensure that you eat with concentration and be mindful of what you are eating. This is one of the best answers to how to lose weight fast. Avoid distractions and appreciate the meals you are eating to get full benefits.
- Eat enough food that is not too small or large. Become aware of your body signals of being full or hunger signs. This is a great weight loss at the home tip that can be easily followed.
- Even when you consume weight loss foods, ensure a hearty breakfast and lunch. Dinner should be meagre but satiating.
- Eat slowly to savour the food and quick enough so that the food does not get cold.
- Eat when your previous meal is digested but do not skip food for more than six hours.
The Ayurvedic diet for weight loss at home is a safe way to lose excess fat. This is a diet that millions of people have used for many years. The diet insists on consuming unprocessed, fresh, and wholesome food and incorporates all the nutritional fundamentals so you can safely plan a meal using it. Unlike other fad diets, it is highly sustainable as it has no side effects but only positive effects and is the best answer for how to lose weight fast!
Authored By: Divya Shankar
About Author: Divya Shankar is a multifaceted content writer with 7+ years of experience. She has exclusive writing expertise in ayurveda.