The first thing that pops up in our minds when we think of coconut water is an exotic holiday. Imagine quenching your thirst on a tropical island, sipping on naturally chilled coconut water straight out of its shell under scorching heat? Relaxing already, isn’t it? This natural clear sweet liquid inside the coconut is not only restricted to being a refreshing beverage but has innumerable benefits to the human body. Read on to know how coconut water can be a game-changer for you.
What is Coconut Water?
Coconut water is a clear liquid that tastes sweet and nutty. It is found inside green coconuts and is what nourishes the fruit. As the coconut matures, some of the liquid remains in the nut while the rest hardens into white flesh called coconut meat. Coconut water contains:
- Hydrating electrolytes
- Important vitamins and minerals like B vitamins, Niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid and trace amounts of thiamin, Vitamin C, potassium and sodium.
- Various plant hormones and enzymes
- Coconut water also has simple carbohydrates and amino acids
Also known as Nariyal pani in Hindi, Coconut water is different from coconut milk that is extracted from the grated pulp of mature coconuts. However, both are used for the same purposes as a beverage, in delicacies and many such.
Nariyal pani is considered Mother Nature’s gift and does not need any processing or preparation. It is safe to consume straight out of the nut and can be bought from any local market or food website that sells coconut water online to buy.
12 Health Benefits of Drinking Coconut Water
- One of the key benefits of drinking coconut water is that it is a powerhouse of key nutrients predominantly responsible for hydration and good digestion. Coconut water or Nariyal pani contains more potassium than an average sized banana would. This nutrient alone keeps fluid and electrolyte levels balanced in the body. Other nutrients such as calcium, magnesium and sodium too are critical for bone, heart and kidney function health.
- Coconut water is considered to be the best source of energy. Consuming this can ensure you experience a boost of energy, whether before or after a workout. Drinking this water can refuel energy stores, aiding in speedy recovery after working out. Coconut water contains electrolytes and high potassium levels that prevent fatigue and hydrates to the dot.
Great Source of Hydration
- Natural and fresh tender coconut water has a nutty and sweet taste that makes it a delicious treat. Consume coconut water directly from the fruit or store them in your fridge after buying coconut water online; they are the perfect drink for hydration. Coconut water is rich in sodium, potassium and magnesium, making it the perfect hydration elixir after plain water itself.
- One of the biggest benefits of drinking coconut water is that it hydrates the body almost instantly. In addition, Coconut water contains natural electrolytes that assist in helping kidney function, muscle contractions, and so much more. While store brought energy drinks may have been your go-to, these have a strong dose of sugar and other artificial ingredients that are not good for our health.
- Assist in Weight Loss
- Suppose weight loss or maintenance is part of your goals; fresh, tender coconut water may be your best friend. Being low in calories (only 48 ) and abundant in nutrients, it’s the best drink to have in hand when thirsty or as an energy boost. Unlike other sugary drinks mixed with artificial ingredients, coconut water doesn’t contain any nasties and instead is rich in bio-enzymes that ease digestion and boost metabolism. The rule is higher the metabolic rate- the more fat your body can burn!
- Nariyal pani is a great drink that assists in easy digestion, being rich in manganese. This element helps in regulating bowel movements and prevents constipation and acidity. Being an excellent digestive, coconut water also helps in reducing bloating after major meals.
Could prevent Urinary Infections
- Known to be diuretic, tender coconut water may help flush out toxins through urine. Ensuring a healthy frequency of urination can help in preventing urinary tract infections.
Can avoid Kidney Stones
- Most medical professionals advise patients to consume lots of water to prevent kidney stones. Coconut water is made of 95% water with very little fat and consists of other nutrients that are beneficial to the overall body. When taken in moderate amounts, coconut water can prevent the formation of kidney stones by flushing out chlorine and citrate in urine. Bored of sipping on tasteless water? Try refreshing coconut water for a change.
May Lower Blood Sugar Levels
- Recent research has shown that coconut water can lower blood sugar levels and blood glucose, especially in diabetic patients. Being a good source of magnesium, coconut water may help in increasing insulin sensitivity and decrease blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
May Support Heart to Good Health
- With its impressive content of potassium (500mg in 8 ounces), coconut water may help in lowering blood pressure, especially in patients with high blood pressure. Potassium is known to relax the walls of blood vessels, thereby, reducing blood pressure and preventing muscle cramps. Drinking nariyal pani should not just be left for a summer day but can be the best choice to relieve your heart from stress!
- Drinking tender coconut water can benefit your overall skin, leaving it moisturised and supple. Recent research has also found that consuming this hydrating and natural elixir can prevent free radicals, thereby, reducing signs of ageing. Its antimicrobial properties also work wonders on acne prone skin- so next time you post a selfie on social media sipping on coconut water online, leave a spoonful to apply to your skin for the glow!
- Nothing beats coconut water nutrition when it comes to immunity-boosting coconut water. Being abundant in nutrients and vitamins like niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, folates and many more, it’s the first choice in nutrition through a drink. In addition, your local nariyal pani has more anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties than any other food or drink in store! These properties help increase our body’s immune system and fight seasonal flu.
What is the Best Time to drink Nariyal Pani?
While coconut water can be consumed as a thirst quencher at any time, it’s best consumed:
- Early morning on an empty stomach: Drinking nariyal pani in the morning on an empty stomach can kick start metabolism, thereby, facilitating weight loss. It’s a great drink to consume for pregnant women to relieve morning sickness, nausea and heartburn.
- Pre and post a workout: As mentioned before, coconut water is nature’s sports drink. It helps in hydrating the body instantly, replenishing it with water that’s lost during intense workout sessions.
- During a hangover: Consuming alcohol is dangerous to health and can cause severe dehydration, headache and nausea. Consume a glass of coconut water to dispel hangover hues. It restores lost electrolytes and will have you refreshed, alert and hydrated in no time.
How to choose the best Coconut for Nariyal pani
- Shake it as you mean it: When you are grazing the market or a heap of coconuts for the best, make sure to pick several coconuts and shake them well. To get the freshest one of the lot, you should be able to hear a sloshing sound with plenty of liquid in it.
- Meet them in the eye: Coconuts have three eyes on the top. If one of the eyes is softer than the other two and has a greenish mould around it, the coconut is probably slowly rotting. Opening such coconuts will give you sour-tasting nariyal pani- who wants that?
- Look for cracks, mould or damp patches: Should you notice small cracks or damp areas on the coconut, it’s best to avoid these as there could be leaks- leaving you with little or no water. As mentioned above, cracks leaking coconut water can cause mouldy eyes, too, leading to sour-tasting water.
Don’t want to experiment with buying the fruit on your own? Or do you find it challenging to store coconuts in your home? Why not opt for coconut water online packaged fresh in convenient tetra packs that seal the freshness of the liquid and are easy to store too! Conscious brands like Auric take it a notch higher by offering 100% natural Nariyal pani or coconut water in 100% recyclable packaging. Sustainability is of top priority to such brands, and they ensure every part of the fruit is used in an environment-friendly manner. With zero preservatives, chemicals or artificial flavours, their coconut water is as raw and real as it can get. Minus storing large coconuts in your pantry! Instead, keep these tetra packs or carry them wherever you go to consume as you need.
Staying hydrated is one of the most important things for all human beings. Consuming a moderate amount of nariyal pani in addition to plain water is a healthy way to ensure overall benefits. Coconut water can be consumed by everyone irrespective of their age, so why wait, grab one today!
Authored By: Divya Shankar
About Author: Divya Shankar is a multifaceted content writer with 7+ years of experience. She has exclusive writing expertise in ayurveda.