Upon close examination of our ecosystem, we come to appreciate the intricate design of every living creation. What may initially appear futile or redundant can prove invaluable with a shift towards creativity and compassion in our perspective. Coconut Bowls embody humanity's endeavor to preserve our planet by repurposing coconut shells, which would otherwise end up discarded and incinerated. While coconut bowls may have been utilized in the distant past, their concept and production likely faded into obscurity over the centuries.
Nonetheless, in 2015, an Australian surfer named Jake McKeon revived the concept of coconut bowls during a trip to Bali. What originated as a modest, environmentally conscious venture on Instagram has since burgeoned into a multimillion-dollar enterprise, inspiring numerous others to partake in this movement. They do so either by locally crafting coconut bowls or by acquiring these exquisite coconut bowl designs for their culinary and home embellishments. The market now boasts a diverse range of coconut shell offerings, including coconut bowls, coconut shell spoons, and comprehensive bowl and spoon sets.
How Are Coconut Bowls Made?
Benefits Of Using Coconut Bowls
Now one would ask, why ditch their regular bowls and use coconut bowls? Read below to find out the various benefits associated with using coconut bowls:
- Coconut bowls are all-natural, devoid of toxins or synthetic compounds. Crafted entirely by hand, they bypass exposure to harmful processes that might yield toxins. The same applies to coconut shell spoons, made from aged coconut shells. Regular hand tools shape these shells into spoons, followed by polishing to achieve the final product.
- Coconut bowls offer superior durability compared to ordinary counterparts. They possess innate sturdiness, heat resistance, and resistance to lumps, ensuring extended utility. Users attest to their enduring quality, preserving a pristine appearance over time.
- Embracing coconut bowls and related coconut shell utensils translates into an environmentally conscientious choice. These products are fully biodegradable, recyclable, and eco-friendly, effectively mitigating waste generation. Traditional disposal methods, either landfilling or burning, exacerbate environmental issues by releasing harmful gases.
- Handcrafted with care, coconut bowls, and shell spoons support local artisans, many hailing from rural communities with modest incomes. By patronizing these items, you contribute to the livelihoods of these skilled craftsmen.
- For proponents of sustainable living, coconut bowls and shell spoons epitomize essential purchases. Their sustainability extends to various aspects, fostering eco-friendly practices within your home.
- Bid farewell to extravagant cutlery; contemporary homes embrace the simplicity and elegance of coconut bowls. These finely crafted pieces add aesthetic allure to your surroundings, enhancing the visual appeal of meals and home decor alike. Versatile in function, they serve as containers, decorations, and components for various DIY projects.
How To Make A Coconut Bowl At Home?
Coconuts are consistently available year-round, particularly in tropical regions. Leading global coconut exporters include the Philippines, Indonesia, India, and Sri Lanka.
After enjoying coconut juice, and utilizing its flesh in various culinary creations like desserts, curries, and coconut milk, you might find yourself with the remaining coconut shell. Rather than discarding it, consider crafting your own coconut bowl using manual tools and accessories.
The necessary ingredients include:
- Mature coconuts: Choose mature coconuts with flat ends, round shape, and balance, avoiding excessive husk.
- A small handsaw
- A brush
- Linseed oil/virgin coconut oil/walnut oil/ generic vegetable oil
You can follow the easy steps given below:
- Employ a handsaw to neatly bisect the coconut; alternative methods risk compromising its form and equilibrium.
- Safeguard against rolling by positioning a kitchen towel beneath the coconut. Grasp one end, and employ the handsaw to open the other.
- Channel the coconut water into a receptacle for a later invigorating beverage.
- Subsequently, extract the coconut flesh. Utilize a butter or blunt knife for this purpose.
- Harness the coconut flesh for crafting shredded coconut, flakes, and similar products.
- Proceed with sanding the coconut shells, ensuring both inner and outer surfaces attain smoothness, eliminating rough edges.
- Conclude by lacquering the bowls, a critical step for safe food service. Opt for either linseed or organic coconut oil, repeating up to 5 times for interior and exterior. Ensure thorough drying, potentially using an oven for expeditious results.
- Your homemade coconut shells are now primed for use.
How To Maintain Your Coconut Bowl And Coconut Shell Spoons?
To ensure the longevity of your coconut bowl and spoon and preserve their shine, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Avoid using hot water when cleaning the coconut bowl and spoon set. They are not suitable for dishwasher use and should not be soaked in hot water. Instead, promptly clean them with mild, lukewarm soapy water.
- Do not expose the coconut bowl and spoon to extreme temperatures, such as ovens, microwaves, or refrigerators. These items are susceptible to damage and cracking when subjected to extreme heat or cold.
- You can comfortably serve both hot and cold foods in the coconut bowls.
- Keep in mind that prolonged usage may lead to a loss of luster in the coconut bowl and coconut shell spoons. To restore their former polished appearance, apply the same oil and dry them. Repeat this process twice for optimal results.
Pricing Of Coconut Bowls And Coconut Shell Spoons
The pricing of coconut bowls and shell spoons fluctuates based on brand and coconut sourcing, often exceeding standard bowl costs. Typically, coconut bowls range from Rs. 350 to Rs. 600, while coconut shell spoon sets vary from Rs. 350 to Rs. 600, influenced by size and brand. Opting for a bundled set of both items offers value, priced at approximately Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1300.
Other Eco-friendly Products made of Coconuts
Since the inception of the coconut bowl trend, the market has witnessed an upsurge in diverse coconut shell items. These encompass teacups, toothbrush holders, soap dishes, planters, vases, candle holders, ice cream cups, and more.
So what are you waiting for? Embrace the coconut bowl trend, employing sustainable products to promote environmental well-being while fostering a sense of fulfillment. Additionally, harness your creativity to conceive novel coconut shell-based product concepts. Who knows, you might cultivate a prosperous venture from this humble resource.
Authored By: Divya Shankar
About The Author: Divya Shankar is a multifaceted content writer with 7+ years of experience. She has exclusive writing expertise in Ayurveda.