Shilajit : Top 12 Health Benefits of Shilajit
Ayurvedic science has a reserve of extraordinary knowledge about nature’s elements that provide medicinal benefits to mankind. One of these wonderful elements of our environment is the Shilajit. It is referred to as asphaltum punjabnium, black bitumen, Shimalaya and mineral pitch in different cultures. Due to its attributes, it is popularly known as the conqueror of mountains and the destroyer of weakness. Found in the Himalayas, the Shilajit is a powerhouse of energy and vitality. Let us learn more about this wonder mineral and the amazing Shilajit benefits.
History Of The Formation Of Shilajit
According to ancient Ayurvedic scriptures, Shilajit is said to be formed when the Jestha and Ashada mountain's layers began to melt during the summer. Following this process, a semi-solid resin-like substance is formed under the massive layer of rocks. When these rocks started cracking due to excessive heat, the decomposed plants trapped within oozed out and settled over the rock. This mineral is the Shilajit, which is rich in nutrients and minerals. It contains remnants of decomposed plants, which is why Shilajit is good for health. Besides the Himalayas, Shilajit is also found in Nepal, Karakoram, Bhutan, Russia, Mongolia and Iran.
Shilajit contains over 80 minerals, including iron, zinc, copper, lead and silver. It also contains a high concentration of fulvic acid and humic acids.
Shilajit has aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, analgesic and immunomodulatory properties.
Why is Shilajit Good for Health?
There are various health benefits associated with the consumption of Shilajit. The main Shilajit benefits are listed below:
Boosts Testosterone Levels and Enhances Fertility in Men
- Shilajit’s use as a fertility superfood has been advocated since ancient times. Being an aphrodisiac and rich in DBP, it boosts a male’s fertility and sexual performance by increasing his sperm count and sperm motility. A study that treated men in the age group of 45-55 years with Shilajit consecutively for 90 days has proved that testosterone levels were significantly increased among the participants.
- Being rich in fulvic acid, Shilajit slows down the ageing process. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant nature prevents cell damage as well as helps our body in the process of regeneration and repair of tissues. The presence of fulvic acid in Shilajit maintains calcium levels in our bones and acts as a shield against free radicals. Ultimately, the Shilajit benefits our body by improving its health and longevity.
Cardiovascular Health is Improved
- Heart patients can enjoy the shilajit benefits as it improves heart health because of its anti-oxidant nature. Consumption of shilajit benefits those suffering from heart palpitations, heart diseases and arrhythmia. It does so by reducing cholesterol levels in our blood, improving the strength of the heart muscles, thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks, blood clots and heart blocks.
- Anaemia is a disease characterised by low iron levels in the blood, which affects the blood’s ability to transport oxygen throughout the body. Symptoms of anaemia include fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat and skin pallor. Regular consumption of the Shilajit capsule improves the iron level in the blood, consequently enhancing the body’s capacity to carry and transport oxygen to maintain its functions. Taking 1 Shilajit capsule twice a day with warm water is sufficient to bring your iron levels back to normal.
Helps cure Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- CFS makes the patient constantly fatigued, tired, and mentally stressed and renders them physically weak and inactive. No matter how long they rest, their body is used to thinking that they are tired and fatigued. This occurs due to the dysfunction of the mitochondria of the cells. Although treatment of this disease is difficult, the use of Shilajit benefits the body by helping to manage the symptoms associated with CFS. Because the Shilajit capsule is rich in nutrients and minerals, it can help enhance cell function, making our body more active and reducing fatigue naturally. You can take 1 Shilajit capsule with warm milk after light meals. This has to be done once a day, daily for 2-3 months until results are shown.
Enhances Brain Function
- As we grow older, the functioning of our brains is affected. Some people also experience short-term memory loss or even long-term issues like Alzheimer’s. According to the International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, Shilajit is good for health as it is helpful to improve brain function. Shilajit benefits our brain by slowing does its ageing and increasing the longevity of brain cells, thereby preventing cognitive problems that may arise with diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- For Alzheimer’s in particular, the Shilajit tablet is extremely useful as it prevents the formation of tau in the brain. Tau is a protein responsible for forming neurofibrillary tangles, which results in the development of Alzheimer’s. For Alzheimer’s, take 2-4 pinch of Shilajit powder (or 1 ground Shilajit capsule) and mix it with honey or lukewarm milk. Drink the mixture twice a day after having light meals.
It Beats Stress and Fights Anxiety
- Shilajit benefits our body by increasing dopamine production in the brain. Dopamine is a hormone associated with inducing a happy effect in our body. Moreover, the Shilajit tablet can have a calming effect on our body due to its high potassium and magnesium content. These minerals help relax our body’s muscles, including the heart. This is how Shilajit is good for health as it prevents anxiety and reduces stress levels.
Improves Gut Health
- Shilajit is good for health as it improves the health of our gut, which is a very important part of our body. Shilajit tablet contains benzoic acid, an antibacterial agent, thus preventing gut infections. In addition to that, Shilajit’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties further improve the gut condition and prevent digestive disorders.
Prevents Altitude Sickness
- Planning to fly soon and scared you will fall sick? Take a Shilajit tablet after a meal as it is known to prevent altitude sickness. It boosts our immune system, enhances our brain’s cognitive abilities, and reduces inflammation. The humic acid and fulvic acids it contains help prevent breathing problems, fatigue and body pain, which are common symptoms of altitude sickness.
Prevent Metal Toxicity in the Bloodstream
- The use of Shilajit is good for health as it contains humic acid and fulvic acid, which help to absorb toxic metals like mercury and lead from our bloodstream and release them from our body.
It Helps Fight Respiratory Tract Infections
- According to research, Shilajit benefits our body when fighting against the HSRV virus, which causes respiratory tract infections in children. Shilajit benefits by clearing the respiratory passage and increasing the body’s immunity against the virus. To combat respiratory tract infections, take 2-4 pinch of Shilajit powder mixed with water and honey. Have the mixture twice daily after meals.
It makes Cancer Treatment Less Painful
- Amongst the Shilajit tablet uses, another use is known to help patients undergoing chemotherapy for cancer because it contains fulvic acid and humic acids that are anti-oxidants and destroy free radicals that are released during chemotherapy.
Different Forms of Shilajit
Shilajit is available for consumption in various forms such as shilajit powder, shilajit capsule and shilajit tablet. All these types are to be stored in a cool and dry place at room temperature (25 degrees Celsius). The recommended dosage for each is mentioned below.
- Shilajit powder: Not more than 2-4 pinch of powder one a day.
- Shilajit capsule: One capsule twice a day.
- Shilajit tablet: One tablet twice a day.
Please make sure to take advice from a professional doctor before usage.
What to look for when buying Shilajit Supplements?
While buying any form of Shilajit, it is important to consider these factors:
- Shilajit should not be pure, raw or unprocessed.
- The manufacturer of Shilajit capsules or tablets is reputed and certified.
- Shilajit products should be certified for safety.
Specific categories of people are exempted from taking Shilajit as it may cause certain side effects. However, the following categories should avoid taking Shilajit unless prescribed by a professional:
- Diabetic people: As Shilajit can lower blood sugar levels, diabetic people should take care while consuming Shilajit and anti-diabetic drugs.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- As Shilajit can increase Uric acid levels, those taking medicines to reduce uric acid levels should avoid consuming Shilajit.
The use of Shilajit in excess amounts can cause serious side effects such as allergic reaction, itching, burning sensation throughout the body, creased urination, increased heart rate, and dizziness.
As Shilajit boosts immunity, it should be strictly avoided by those at risk from autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis. Therefore, it is best to consult a doctor before beginning a Shilajit course.
Shilajit, if taken in unprocessed or raw form, can be toxic in nature as it may contain heavy metals, fungus, free radicals and other toxic compounds. This can lead to serious complications, including death.
Now that you know all about the amazing Shilajit benefits, are you going to try and incorporate these into your daily diet? You can also try the all-new Men's Energy Tea with Pure Shilajit as a relaxing drink. Make sure to consult a doctor before you do, to get the best results without any side effects. Stay safe!
Authored By: Divya Shankar
About Author: Divya Shankar is a multifaceted content writer with 7+ years of experience. She has exclusive writing expertise in ayurveda.
Leave a comment