Are you looking for healthy options as a snack? Yes? Well, snacks are the perfect way to smack your little hunger. But healthy snacks are only not a solution for little cravings; they also maintain your overall health.
What can you have as a healthy snack? Nuts are the powerhouse of good fats, vitamins, fiber, and protein. Nuts contain monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat (omega-6 and omega-3), and some saturated fat. So you can have nuts at snack time.
Did you know that each kind of nut carries different nutritional benefits? If you are taking nuts in your daily life, it will save you from various ailments like high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Do you know people who eat nuts live longer as compared to those who don't? Yes, many studies have reported this fact. So, which nuts can you have for maintaining your health? I'm sure this issue pops up in your mind. But, no worries, I have the solution to this issue.
I have prepared a list of "Eat These 5 Nuts for Better Health" for you. It's summer, so evening time is best to read. So, you sit on the balcony and have a cold coffee while reading this small write-up. Trust me; it will give you an incredible feeling.
When we talk about nuts, we cannot miss almonds. Almonds have gained popularity in recent years.
Small handful almonds contain:
- Calories: They have around 161 calories.
- Fat: They have around 14 grams of fat.
- Protein: They have around 6 grams.
- Carbs: They have about 6 grams of carbs.
- Fiber: They have approximately 3.5 grams.
- Vitamin E: They have approximately 37% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI).
- Magnesium: They have around 19% of the RDI.
Health benefits of having almonds daily:
- As per studies, an almond-rich diet reduces the bad" LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, and oxidized LDL cholesterol. Such type of cholesterol is not suitable for your heart health.
- Almonds are part of a low-calorie diet. So it can help you to lose some kgs.
- Almonds help to lower the risk of blood sugar. For people who have high blood sugar, almonds can help them lower to a certain level.
- Almonds also lessen inflammation in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Almonds support the growth of beneficial gut bacteria and maintain your gut health also.
- Almonds are a great source of antioxidants. They protect you from aging and diseases like cancer.
If you want to replace potato chips or pretzels with a healthy snack, almonds will be a perfect choice.
Do you know the best approach to improve your protein diet? You can add peanuts to your diet. It will pump up your protein intake. The best thing is that peanuts are readily available in the market.
100g of peanuts contains the following nutrients.
- Protein: 100g of peanuts contains 25.80 g protein.
- Calories: 100g of peanuts contains 567 calories
- Fat: 100g of peanuts contains 49.24 g fat.
- Carbohydrate: 100g of peanuts contains 16.13 g of carbohydrate.
- Fiber: 100g of peanuts contains 8.50 g fiber.
- Sugar: 100g of peanuts contains 4.72g of sugar.
Health benefits of Peanuts
- Peanuts are a rich source of polyphenols, antioxidants, flavonoids, and amino acids. All these components are responsible for good health.
- Peanuts lower the level of bad cholesterol that is bad for your heart. It also restricts blood clotting and reduces the risk of a heart attack.
- Peanuts have a good protein count. Foods with a good amount of protein make you feel full with fewer calories. In short, peanuts help in weight loss.
- Peanuts lower the risk of diabetes. If you eat peanuts every day, it won't spike up your blood sugar levels.
- Many studies reported that peanuts help prevent the risk of developing a specific type of stomach cancer.
Peanuts have so many health benefits that you can ignore. Roast peanuts and sprinkle some salt on them. And have it as an evening snack.
A nut with a hard shell is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). However, walnuts have a large number of calories as compared to other nuts. It is due to the high-fat content present in walnuts. Not only fat content, but they have a good amount of protein and other nutrients as well.
100g of walnuts have the following nutrients and minerals:
- Protein: 100g of walnuts have 15.23 g protein.
- Fat: 100g of walnuts have 65.21 g fats.
- Carbohydrate: 100g of walnuts have 13.71 g of carbohydrates.
- Fiber: 100g of walnuts have 6.7 g fibers.
- Sugar: 100g of walnuts have 2.61 g sugar.
- Calcium: 100g of walnuts have 98 mg of calcium.
- Iron: 100g of walnuts have 2.91 mg of calcium
- Magnesium: 100g of walnuts have 158 mg of calcium
- Phosphorous: 346 mg
- Potassium: 441 mg
Health Benefits of Walnuts
- Walnuts are a prime source of antioxidants. In addition, they can help prevent oxidative damage in your body, like damage due to "bad" LDL cholesterol.
- Walnuts promote good heart health because they contain omega-3 fatty acids.
- Walnuts have various nutrients that help to reduce inflammation. Did you know that inflammation is the culprit in many chronic diseases?
- Walnuts encourage a healthy gut.
- Walnuts may also reduce the risk of cancer.
You can have walnuts as a snack or have them early in the morning.
Cashews are a well-known name in the Indian kitchen. They are a great source of iron. So people should add cashews to their everyday diet.
Cashews have the following nutrients:
Protein: Cashews contain 18.22 g of protein.
Fat: Cashews contain 43.85 g of fat.
Carbohydrate: Cashews contain 30.19 g of carbohydrate
Fiber: Cashews contain 3.30 g of fiber.
Sugar: Cashews contain 5.91 g of sugar.
Health Benefits of Cashews
- Many studies show that cashews prevent cardiovascular diseases. Cashews are good for your heart health.
- Cashews help to control the blood pressure problem in high BP patients.
- Cashews are an immunity booster.
- It helps to maintain your excess weight gain.
- It may make your bones strong.
The last name on the list is Pistachios. Pistachios are the powerhouse of protein and other essential nutrients.
Pistachios (100g) contain the following:
- Protein: 100g of Pistachios have 20.16 g of protein
- Fat: 100g of Pistachios have 45.32 g of fat.
- Carbohydrate: 100g of Pistachios have 27.17 g of carbohydrate
- Fiber: 100g of Pistachios have 10.60 g of fiber.
- Sugar: 100g of Pistachios have 7.66 g of sugar.
- Calories: 100g of Pistachios have 560 calories.
Health Benefits of Pistachios
- Pistachios are fully loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants are essential for your health.
- Pistachios carry fewer calories and higher protein quantity as compared to other nuts.
- Eating pistachio nuts may support your weight loss journey. Also, they encourage mindful eating.
- Pistachios contain high fiber. And fibers are suitable for your gut bacteria.
Eating pistachios can lower blood cholesterol.
I'm sure this article has made clear to you why to eat nuts. Nuts are a perfect snack that you must choose over chips and other junk food. But don't pick just one. Nuts are a little bit processed and have no extra ingredients added, so mix raw and unsalted nuts and enjoy your evening.
"Eat nuts to get the variety of nutrients and antioxidants."
Authored by: Vijeta Rana
About the Author: Vijeta Rana is a Wellness and Fitness Blogger from Punjab, India