Parenting is the most adorable but challenging phase of life. Kids' healthcare, happiness, and safety become the priority once you become a parent. During this coronavirus, the situation has become pretty critical. How can you protect your kids from deadly viruses like Covid-19 and other infections? The simple answer to this question is a child's immunity.
A strong immunity can fight back the countless array of germs and viruses kids are exposed to every day. Kids require various nutrients and minerals to boost their kid's immune systems. The immune system is the primary key to guard kids against all the other germs they'll face.
How to Boost Immunity in Kids?
If you don't know, then no worries. This write-up will help you out in boosting your child's immune system. There are several ways that can do wonders for your kids' immunity. Let's jump in to know about them.
How to Boost Immunity in Kids?
- Breastfeed your baby: Breasting for at least six months to newborn babies is helping in the better developed immune system. Colostrum is present in breast milk. It is considered the best in building a baby's immunity. It has a high number of protective antibodies that guard babies against numerous infections and diseases.
(a) Cold and Flu: If you have breastfed your newborn, I have a piece of good news for you. As per studies, 35 percent risk of contracting an upper respiratory virus has reduced if the baby is breastfed six months.
(b) Respiratory Tract Infections: Breast milk decreases the risk of respiratory tract infections up to 4 years.
(c) Middle Ear Infection: Studies show that breast milk offers protection against acute otitis media until age 2. There is a 43% reduction in the occurrence of middle ear infections.
(e) Childhood Leukemia: As per different studies, breastfeeding for six months reduces the 20% risk of childhood leukemia.
(f) Obesity: Breastfeeding for six months reduces the 13% risk of obesity in children.
(g) Gut Infections: Breastfeeding for six months keeps kids' gut health on point. As a result, it reduces the 72 percent risk of hospital appointments due to diarrhea.
Furnish your Kids' Plate with Nutrients
It is imperative to make sure that your kids are taking the required nutrients. Always motivate your kids to have all the seasonal fruits and veggies. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are rich in all essential antioxidants and vitamins. Here is the list of fruits and vegetables that you should add to make a healthy diet.
1. Oranges and Citrus: Oranges and citrus fruits like kiwi and lemon are rich in vitamin C. It is an immunity booster and acts as a wall against infections to protect your kids.
2. Berries: Berries are a great source of antioxidants. Antioxidants help to encourage your immune system and fight against viruses and bacterias. Therefore, it would be best to include many different berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, and blackberries in your kids' diet.
3. Green Leafy Vegetables: GLVs are the treasure of nutrients. They have vitamin D such as ascorbic acid, folic acid, tocopherols, β-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, legumes, and riboflavin, as well as other minerals like iron, calcium, and phosphorus.
4. Yogurt: Yogurt is nutritious and has various health benefits. It has probiotics that boost your immune system. But remember, no-added-sugar yogurt should serve the kids.
5. Eggs:Eggs have vitamin D, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, and Selenium. You can serve boiled eggs with a bit of sauce for breakfast.
Sound Sleep for Kids
Sleep plays an essential role in boosting immunity. Kids require 10 to 12 hours of continuous sleep. It would be best if you make a proper schedule for bedtime. For example, you can add a warm bath, light massage, or reading a book together. It will help your kids to sleep on time.
Sleep and immunity have a direct relationship with each other. High-quality sleep improves the white blood cells and supports a well-balanced immune defense system. When a person sleeps, a healing process starts in the body. If your kids are not taking sufficient sleep regularly, then there can be some adverse effects. Never allow your kids to play or watch TV till late at night. You need to develop a habit in your kids to sleep early so that they can complete their 10-12 hours of sleep without any disruption.
Never allow your kids to play or watch TV till late at night. You need to develop a habit in your kids to sleep early so that they can complete their 10-12 hours of sleep without any disruption.
Make good sleep your and your kids' priority. A lot is going on in our world, and you need to protect your kids' immunity.
Make Cleanliness a Way of Living
Try to teach some good hygiene habits to your kids because it will keep germs and infections away from them. Once kids know the importance of cleanliness, they will start maintaining it. Here are a few things that you shouldn't miss teaching.
- Washing Hands Before and after Meals: It is crucial to make it a habit to wash hands before and after meals. Kids play with so many things. And those things may carry germs that can cause infection or any diseases to kids. That is why make sure your kids are washing their hands before or after their meal or not.
- Wash Hands after Playing: After playing, kids should wash their hands. Their hands and clothes are the carriers of so many germs and bacteria. So wash their hands as well as change their clothes.
- Cover Mouth and Nose: It is essential to teach your kids to cover their mouth and nose with a cloth or tissue when they sneeze or cough.
Try to keep your kids active. Please don't allow them to watch Tv or play video games all the time. Exercise plays a crucial role in the overall fitness of the kids. So to make it more interesting, you should also participate in it. Do some outdoor fun activities. A few are the following activities or exercises for which you can encourage your kids.
- Cycling: Cycling is the best way to stay active. Along with kids, you can also go cycling and burn some calories. But don't forget to wear masks.
- Virtual Dance Classes: If your kid loves to dance, then dance classes are the best way to stay active. Due to pandemics, physical classes will be a risk, but you put them in virtual dance classes.
- Gardening: Encourage your kids to do some gardening like pulling weeds, watering plants. It will keep them close to nature as well as active.
I guess "How to Boost Immunity in Kids" is not a question anymore. You already have its answer. You can also offer turmeric, whole grains, red meat, and healthy food to your kids to boost their immunity. Also, motivating them for active physical activity.
These are the simple ways to build a strong immunity in kids. Sometimes getting a cold, cough, bruises, and injuries are inescapable parts of childhood. Parents always want their children to be safe because it hurts more when you see your kid fall sick.
Make your kids' immunity strong and fill your kids' childhood with love, attention, cuddles, and laughs.
Authored by: Vijeta Rana
About the Author: Vijeta Rana is a Wellness and Fitness Blogger from Punjab, India